Whether you’re heading to the beach, grilling out with friends, or going to the pool, check out these tips on staying safe this Memorial weekend.
- Find out what disasters may occur where traveling and how to get information in the event of a disaster (local radio systems, emergency alert systems).
- Pay attention to the weather forecast for the destination.
- Buckle up, slow down, and don’t drink and drive. Designate a driver who won’t drink.
- Be well rested and alert; have the driver give their full attention to the road.
- Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use.
- Never grill indoors – not in the house, camper, tent, or any enclosed area.
- Make sure everyone, including the pets, stays away from the grill.
- Keep the grill out in the open, away from the house, deck, tree branches or anything that could catch fire.
Water Activity Tips:
- If caught in a rip current, swim parallel to the shore until out of the current. Once free, turn and swim toward shore. If unable to do that, float or tread water until free of the rip current and then head toward shore.
- Stay at least 100 feet away from piers and jetties. Permanent rip currents often exist near these structures.