It’s been a year since the catastrophic earthquake and tsunami that ripped through Japan, but the efforts made by the Red Cross have not stopped.
“Donations to the American Red Cross have helped hundreds of thousands of disaster survivors and are serving a critical role in recovery plans. Whether it’s offering emotional support to someone struggling with trauma, building much needed healthcare facilities, or providing appliances to a family moving into a temporary home, the Red Cross is helping the Japanese people look to the future.” Gail McGovern, President and CEO of the American Red Cross
The American Red Cross was one of the largest international contributors to the Japan earthquake and Pacific tsunami response. With the help of donations, the American Red Cross raised more than $312 million dollars. One year later, all of the funds have been spent. With the help of these donations, the Japanese Red Cross has been able to bring emergency comfort to those living in shelters and provide the supplies and services needed to help them get back on their feet.
Donations to the American Red Cross have helped the Japanese Red Cross:
- Provide more than 316,000 survivors with necessary appliances for their temporary housing, including refrigerators, washing machines and rice cookers.
- Support construction of four temporary hospitals, one permanent hospital and a community health clinic.
- Rebuild a Red Cross nursing school dedicated to training specialists in disaster medical care
- Provide more than 87,000 people with health services through Japanese Red Cross mobile teams and temporary clinics.
- Comfort 14,000 people by counselors trained to deal with disaster-related trauma.
- Provide transportation and vaccinations for the elderly and educational support, temporary school gyms and play areas for children.
- Improve the disaster response capacity of the Japanese Red Cross, so critical to saving lives.
The Red Cross’ continual efforts in helping countries affected by catastrophic natural events rebuild shows how hard work and dedication towards man-kind doesn’t go unnoticed and has a real affect in people’s lives everyday. For a more visual and in-depth look at what’s happening, please visit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EECJeH4fto